Monday, November 2, 2009

Skyline Drive and the Absolute Beauty of Autumn

"...with the smell of the woods, and the wind in the trees, they will forget the rush and strain of all the other long weeks of the year, and for a short time at least, the days will be good for their hearts and for their souls." Franklin Roosevelt said this of Skyline Drive and the Shenandoah in 1936. I used his quote on this layout featuring my son Zach and our adventure last weekend on Skyline Drive. The layout features SEI Monrovia papers and flowers by Prima (my new favorite manufacturer). I've added just a few of the photos from our Sunday drive. My friend Carol Wingert asked for a little Virginia autumn - since she doesn't get much of it out in Phoenix - so I thought I'd share some of those photos I sent to her with the rest of you!


Here's Zach and I at one of the lookout points. Some nice man took a photo of the two of us.

The chaotic Blue Ridge Skyline.




A gorgeous sugar maple.



Sassafras along the side of the road. While I was taking this picture (and not paying much attention to much else) a small bear crossed the road right in front of us. I wasn't quick enough to get his picture though!



The Massanutten. Notice the difference in the formations of these mountain - more even and organized than those of the Blue Ridge.


Another Maple...I love their colors best!! Stay tuned, I have more lovely autumn layouts in the works!!





No comments: